Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Rice Mother

"The Rice Mother" - The book I was reading today. I dont remember any book after "Memoires of a geisha" that has evoked such emotions in me as this did. Every page made me sob. Every line gave me a new thought. I should have read this long long back. My friend gave this to me and I am so glad she did. Everything I am going to do or think hereon will in some mysterious way be connected to this book. Its amazing how life silently steers you towards hidden and forgotten treasures on an otherwise innocent saturday afternoon. The crisp, yellow pages soaked in my favorite "old book" scent has taken me away to a distant land. The cover picture of the lone woman on a sailing boat gazing with determination into an unknown future beautifully captures the story's essence.

The book is grand. You have to do a lot more than just read it to know it.

Oh and by the way, do make sure you have in your life, atleast one friend who is a true piscean. I have one and she always manages to push a bit of her piscean charm into my pretentious leonine life :)

Gargi.

3 comments:

anon said...

I know exactly how u feel..esp abt pisceans...particularly abt the one u r referring to ;)
oh..yeah the book is not bad either:P

anon said...

eh....r u talking abt me? :P:P
Whats my name again?? ;)

Jadactvi said...

I know exactly how u feel..esp abt pisceans...particularly abt the one u r referring to ;) oh..yeah the book is not bad either:P